Albuquerque nm dating sites
After 1821, Mexico also had a military presence there.The town of Alburquerque was built in the traditional Spanish village pattern: a central plaza surrounded by government buildings, homes, and a church.The growing village was named by provincial governor, Francisco Cuervo y Valdés.The Duke's title referred to the Spanish town of Alburquerque, in the province of Badajoz, near the border with Portugal.
Spain established a presidio in Albuquerque in 1706.After the American occupation of New Mexico, Albuquerque had a federal garrison and quartermaster depot, the Post of Albuquerque, from 1846 to 1867.During the Civil War, Albuquerque was occupied in February 1862 by Confederate troops under General Henry Hopkins Sibley, who soon afterward advanced with his main body into northern New Mexico. This daylong engagement at long range led to few casualties.Another theory suggests that the name derives from the Arabic Abu al-Qurq, which means "father of the cork [oak]".The first "r" in Alburquerque was later dropped, probably due to association with the prominent Portuguese general Alfonso de Albuquerque, whose family title (among others) and then name originated from the presently Spanish town, which was once a dominion of the Kings of Portugal and used the Portuguese variant spelling of its name.
This central plaza area has been preserved and is open to the public as a museum, cultural area, and center of commerce.